background

Monday, February 28

Italian wedding soup won BUT...

The votes are in and Italian wedding soup won but unfortunately I made it on my terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-day. So I didn't get any pictures, I can't remember exactly how I made it and honestly did not turn out "blog worthy". I apologize to change the "game" but I got this comment "Julie, I could use ideas for a healthier choice dessert. In the summer we eat fesh fruit but, that's not available. Pie has become a mainstay & it is taking a toll on the weight. Help! "
I decided to do this post on a few desserts Julified. Next week I will faithfully post the winning recipe!

Angel food cake
1 1/2 c. powered sugar
1 c. cake flour
1 1/2 c. egg whites (about 12 eggs)
3/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
2 tsp. vanillia
1 tsp. almond extract
1/4 tsp. salt

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Mix powered sugar and cake flour
3. In a large bowl beat eggs whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
4. Beat in sugar 2 Tbsp at a time
5. Add vanilla, almond extract w last addition of sugar
6. Continue beating on high until stiff peaks form. Do not underbeat!
7. Fold cake flour mixture into egg whites. DO THIS BY HAND!
8. Pour batter into an ungreased angel food cake pan
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes
10. Invert to let cool


Blueberry Crisp
Crust & topping:
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. oats
3/4 c. walnuts (optional)
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 tsp. cinnamon


1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and press half into a greased 9x9 or casserole pan.


Filling:
1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp cornstrach
1 c. cold water
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen


1. Bring all ingredients, except blueberries to a boil. Once boiling, let simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat
2. Gently fold in blueberries.
3. Pour ontop of crust
4. Top w remaining half of crust
5. Bake for 1 hour

No comments:

Post a Comment