Yet again, You all surprised me! Gyros received the most votes this week! And I even told you they weren't healthy! Shame on YOU! ;)
1 lb. ground lamb
1 lb. ground beef,extra lean
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp. each: salt, pepper, marjoram, cumin, parsley and rosemary leaves (1/2 tsp. if using ground rosemary)
1 clove garlic, finely minced
-Preheat oven to 325
1. Put chopped onion in food processor and blend until paste like. Place onion in a kitchen towel or paper towel and gather corners. Squeeze until all liquid drains.
2. Combine blended onion, lamb, beef and all seasonings. Mix until well until combined.
3. Press and form into an UN greased bread pan. (Be sure to really press to compact it)
4. Bake for about 1 hour or until temperature reaches 165.
5. Poor off excess fat (and there will be quite a bit) Allow to cool before slicing into very thin strips!
- Serve in a warm pita w Tzatziki tomatoes, onions, and/or pepperoncini
Nutritional Info: 3 thin slices (Entire recipe makes aprox. 20 slices)
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced ( I put mine through the food processor to shred it)
2 tsp. salt, divided
2 c. Greek yogurt
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1 tbsp. mint, chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil
zest from lemon
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1. Toss cucumber in 1 tsp. salt and place in a colander to allow to drain any excess liquid. Aprox. 30 min.
2. Combine all ingredients, including the other tsp. of salt and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
(Sorry no nutritional info on this recipe. My program didn't have a few of the ingredients like Greek yogurt! I couldn't believe it!)