background

Friday, September 9

Friday's Freezer Friendly Food- Peaches


"Movin' to the country gonna eat a lot of peaches

I'm movin' to the country I'm gonna eat me a lot of peaches

I'm movin' to the country I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches

Movin' to the country I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches......"

Peaches by Presidents of the USA


This week my Freezer Friendly Food is Peaches. I got 2 half bushels of delicious peaches from my in laws. I froze 14 quarts, canned 5 quarts/2 pints, prepared 5 half pints/1 pint of peach butter, 1 peach/blueberry crisp, ate probably more than we should have & still have 12 fresh to do something with....

Proof of my work :)
Follow these instructions to freeze peaches: Remember there are many different kinds of peaches. If you are going to buy a large quantity be sure to get "free stone" which come away from the pit easily. Also, some types peel easier than others!
1. Fill a large stock pot with water about half way to the top. Bring to a light boil.
2. Drop peaches in for 30-45 seconds. Remove immediately.
3. Rinse in cold water but do not allow to soak.
4. Cut in half & twist to pull two halves apart. Remove skin (which will come off easily b/c of dipping in hot water). Remove pit. Dig out the pink center (grape fruit spoon worked great) this prevents browning.
5. Slice peaches and arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet on their "bottoms".
6. Freeze over night or until completely frozen. Transfer to Ziploc bags. (I put into quart size. Gallon would work great too since they are frozen individual. You can use what you need and put the rest back in the freezer!)
-Uses: pies/crisp, cobbler, smoothies/milkshakes, on top of yogurt/cottage cheese, or as baby food.
--Note: Browning may occur after thaw. But taste is not affected.


16 half bushels of peaches


My portion to process all by myself


Arranged on a cookie sheet on their "bottoms"


No comments:

Post a Comment