background

Tuesday, May 17

Homemade Veggie Burgers WIN!

I love love love veggie burgers and since marrying me, Ken does too :) These would be great for "Meatless Mondy", which has recently become all the rave! (We eat meatless meals several nights a week though and have for years) These burgers take a little bit of prep work. But after making them a few times the steps get easier and faster. I grilled them this time but they also work great on a panini press!

1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 medium carrots, peeled
4 stalks green onions, diced
1 c. chopped mushrooms
1 egg, slightly whisked
1/4 c.bread crumbs
1/4 c. barley, cooked according to pkge directions
1 tsp. EVOO
S & P to taste
1 tsp. Parsley
1/8 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
1 clove garlic, smashed
4 hamburger buns, toasted
Optional: "Burger Toppings" I used Provolone cheese, lettuce and mustard. Ken topped his w the buffalo chicken dip I served as a side. Haha, so I guess his WASN'T a veggie burger :)
1. In a small skillet over medium heat, sweat the mushrooms. About 7 minutes. Be sure to let cool slightly bc they hot mushrooms could cook the egg. Ewwww
2. Mash black beans. I used my Pampered Chef chopper. They need to be a thick paste like consistency.
3. Shave carrots on a cheese grater, Pampered Chef micro plane or food processor! (Already shaved carrots would be a good idea- But I like fresh large carrots)
4. Cook barley according to package directions. And let cool slightly
5. Once mushrooms and barley are slightly cool -combine all the ingredients (except buns and toppings ;) ) in a medium bowl. Mix until everything is incorparated.
6. Split into 4 sections and then press those into burgers.
7. Place burgers on a generously oiled piece of foil.
8. Grill on medium-low heat, flipping once. Total cook time about 10 minutes. (Mine created a nice brown crust and so when I  flipped them I put them directly on grill and threw the foil away. They didn't stick- but I know Ken has had trouble w them sticking in the past-Just a warning)
9. Spray buns w cooking spray and put on grill for about 3 minutes.
10. Top burgers w cheese, let melt and then place on buns!
11. Top w YOUR favorite toppings and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment