It seems if we are home on Saturdays- I'm making something special for breakfast. Today, it was stuffed French Toast w strawberry lemon syrup! It looks like a lot of work but it really didn't take that long. This recipe made 3 stuffed pieces which is really like 6 pieces.
1 can evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla
fresh grated nutmeg
1. Combine all ingredients and whisk until well combined
Cream cheese stuffing:
4 oz. cream cheese (half of a package)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 c. finely chopped strawberries
zest from 1 lemon
1. Combine all ingredients and beat using Kitchen Aide or hand mixer until well combined. Strawberries should break down and be incorporated.
Strawberry Lemon Syrup:
1 c. cold water
2 Tbsp corn starch
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. lemon juice
splash of vanilla
1/2 - 1c. sliced strawberries
1. Start w cold water in a small sauce pan add corn starch and stir until corn starch is combine/dissolved.
2. Add sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to low and let simmer for about 5 minutes. It will thicken greatly.
3. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and strawberries
1/2 loaf of thick bread ( I used french bread today but have used a lot of varieties)
1-2 Tbsp. butter
1. Over medium heat preheat a skillet w butter
2.Slice bread into about 2inch pieces. Next slice a "pocket" in the middle of the bread wo slicing all the way through to the bottom. Last, warm bread for about 15 seconds in the microwave. This allows the bread to be pliable while stuffing!
3.Using a small spoon stuff the bread w the cream cheese mixture.
4. Dunk into egg mixture
5. Place on skillet and cook on each side for about 5 minutes.
6. Spoon strawberry lemon syrup on. :)
|With out Strawberry lemon syrup so you can see it better|